Thursday, September 26, 2019

Story Laboratory - Advice to Writers

For this week's Story Lab, I decided to look at advice for writers. The following quote was one that definitely stood out to me:

"When I was a member of the Boston Globe Spotlight Team, my editor, Gerry O’Neill, urged me to “write scared.” That is, push yourself beyond what you think is possible or safe, to the outer limits of your research and your ability, to the point where it feels exciting and a little scary. When it works, it’s exhilarating for you and for the reader."
- Mitchell Zuckoff

I thought this quote was especially profound because the majority of writing I do is academic writing, which includes analyzing within a framework of what is allowed. Creative writing is a whole other beast, and it is difficult to transition sometimes. When pushing myself to write creatively, I often find it difficult to write about things I am not comfortable with. This quote shows that it is of the utmost importance to break out of that comfort zone when writing, as that produces the best results.



No comments:

Post a Comment