Friday, November 15, 2019

Week 13 Story

A man and a woman were sitting at their usual kitchen table, enjoying their usual morning coffee, when the man noticed something quite unusual. He was about to take a sip out of his coffee, when he noticed something floating. He screamed and nearly dropped it, but was able to gather his senses enough to see what was floating. It looked to be a little version of himself! He thought he was hallucinating, and his wife had gone to her room for a few minutes so he sat their looking at this mini-me. At this point, he realized that the man could not swim in the coffee and it was quite hot, so he used his spoon to take him out and put him on the table. This turned out to be much better for the mini-me, as he was able to walk using his mini-legs.

Although he looked like he was trying to speak, his tiny mouth was too quiet for the man to hear, but, being a version of himself, he knew that he must be hungry. He picked up a crumb of his biscuit off of his napkin, and offered it to the mini-me. He also placed a single drop of water, to make sure that he didn't die of thirst. He knew that the bacteria all around would be plenty of company for the man, but warned of the pathogens that he must stay away from.

After a few minutes, his wife came back to the kitchen, holding her own cup of coffee. Before she entered the room, however, she shrieked. The man already knew what it was, and told her not to be scared, and all that this meant is that his mini-me had a new mini-friend. The initial shock subsided, and they were able to take care of these mini-people, until they started a family of their own.


Author's Note: This story was based on the Alaskan Legend about the creation of man and the raven overseeing him. In this version, the raven was the man himself, and the man was the little person. Instead of being found in the ocean, he was found in the cup of coffee. I made sure to include all the main parts of the story, in a different form, by making sure that the man took care of the little version in terms of food and water. Additionally, he must watch out for predators, which in the micro world would include bacteria.

Story source: Myths and Legends of Alaska, edited by Katharine Berry Judson (1911).

3 comments:

  1. Hi Rohan! Your story surprised me when I read about the little-version-of-the-man in the coffee cup. I hope he didn't get burned in the coffee. I like how you placed your image at the end; it gives a new perspective to think of the man with a similar cup only to have a surreal experience. I was confused about the pathogens you mentioned. They are microscopic, while the little man is visible, so I don't know if the man can even see the pathogens. I laughed, thinking the little-people would have kids to create an identical (though smaller) family to the ordinary people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Rohan!
    I found this story to be very cute and original. I like how you made the little man be found inside of a cup of coffee. I thought that aspect of the story made it more modern and more realistic. I find often that when I read traditional mythology stories in my head they always seem to be set in the past. However, your story came across as if it could happen to me tomorrow at breakfast. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rohan! After seeing your author's note, I recalled the original story you were referring to, so it's interesting to see how drastically you changed the setting while maintaining the same premise. I like that the relationship between Raven and man is echoed here with the man and his mini-me. I wonder what'll happen to these mini-people when they normal-sized couple goes on to make a family. Great job!

    ReplyDelete