Thursday, November 7, 2019

Week 12 Story Lab: Advice to Writers

This week, in lieu of the story, I opted to do a story lab. I always like to look at advice on how to become a better writer, as it has never been a strong suit of mine. My favorite piece of advice this week was about something very relevant to me: getting distracted.

"My downfall will be my ability to procrastinate and avoid writing. I do it so much that I had to install software on my computer to block the Internet and shame me when I inevitably attempt to check email or Twitter every nine to eleven seconds. I don’t believe you have to write every day, or at a set time for a set duration, to be a good and successful writer, but I do think you have to muster enough willpower to do it at least a few times a week in a focused way."

- Una Lamarche

Especially this semester, I have found myself getting distracted on the internet when I am trying to write, or when trying to do other things. I will start an assignment, and then pick up my phone after only a few minutes. It's an issue that I have fixed by doing similar things to the quote. For example, I will put my phone on the other side of the room, so that if I want to check it, I have to physically get up and do it, which is sometimes enough to deter me. I think this is great advice that applies to much more than simply writing. If there is something that you are passionate about, you need to have the focus to dedicate at least a few times a week to bettering yourself at that thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment